Boat Builder / Shipwright
- Transfer dimensions to marine plywood and other construction materials using a tape measure, square, and marking/layout devices.
- Make accurate cuts of wood and other materials using table and chop saws and other related power tools.
- Skilled in reading and interpreting blueprints.
- Troubleshoot leaks, squeaks, warps and make recommendations for appropriate repair.
- Layout, cut and assemble boat parts, such as doors, paneling, boxes, rails, and trim.
- Installs prefabricated/custom parts such as hatches, marine hardware, metal trim, seats and other parts.
- Apply caulking compound under spray rails, windshields, and around windows, using the appropriate material to specified lengths and cement, crimps, screws, or taps into place.
- Good working knowledge of woodworking joints in the marine industry, such as a scarf, sill splice, lap, finger, and dovetail.
- Skilled knowledge and use of epoxies and vinyl ester resins or other adhesives to bond parts and perform basic fiberglass repair.
- Must meet schedule and budget for projects.
- Understands yachting terminology, local and industry, e.g., port/starboard, and bung (wood plug).
- Use reading and writing, adding and subtracting of whole numbers and fractions.
- Experience in restorations and refits a plus.
- Follow prescribed safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe, clean work area.
- All work to be performed to Yachting Solutions quality standards.
- Perform other related duties as necessary.
- High school or general equivalency degree (GED) required.
- Course work in wood and/or metals preferred.
- Basic computer skills
- Knowledge, the operation of tape measures, square, hand saw, hand plane, table saw, and chop saw, planer, and set-up of a joiner, band saw, shaper, surface sander, router, vacuum pumps, and inverted router.
- Five years carpentry, plus 4 years boat building/repair experience including knowledge of various types of woods, finishes cabinetry attributes, and adhesives.
- Unlimited or unimpaired ability to walk, bend, stoop, climb and work safely around water on a ladder or in confined spaces
- Ability to lift 50lbs. (Maximum 100lbs with assistance of another employee)
- Physical requirements include frequent walking, climbing, twisting, kneeling, reaching, standing, squatting and bending.
- Position requires frequent repetitive motion
- Work well in non-structured entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to climb and be comfortable working on a ladder
We offer 401k, vacation and healthcare, vision and dental insurance benefits and company paid life insurance.
- High school or equivalent
- Boat building/repair: 4 years
Required license or certification:
- Driver's license